How to prevent acne?
- Review your diet – foods rich in sugar and carbohydrates (burgers, french fries, sodas, milkshakes, etc) may be the trigger for acne. Add more foods like fruits, vegetables, and whole-grain products to your diet.
- Wash your face twice a day – avoid hot water and use lukewarm water instead
- Do not exfoliate your skin too often – if you remove too much natural oil from your skin you will do damage instead of good. Your skin will try to compensate and will produce even more oil which results in even more clogged pores and more pimples.
- Avoid stress – stress itself does not cause acne however if you already are acne-prone then it can trigger the outbreaks and make them worse.
- Make sure your facial care products are clean – clean them regularly to prevent bacteria from building up
- Do not add makeup to pimples – you will obviously want to cover them however try to refrain from it since this may result in even more clogged pores and pimples.
A Complete Guide to Acne Remedies, Causes and Types
What foods cause acne?
- Fast food products like hot dogs, french fries, burgers, sodas, and milkshakes have a lot of calories and are rich in fat and refined carbohydrates which research shows may increase the risk of triggering acne breakouts
- Dairy, trans fats, and saturated fats are found to stimulate the production of certain hormones that can cause the glands to produce more oil which can lead to clogged pores and acne breakouts.
- Pasta, white rice, white bread, and sugar cause your blood sugar to rise quickly which makes your body produce more insulin. Having too much insulin in your body will make your oil glands to produce more oil, making your skin vulnerable to acne breakouts.
How to get rid of acne scars fast?
- Using retinoids – they speed up cell regeneration, improve skin texture, and reduce discoloration.
- Products that contain salicylic and Lactic Acids, Alpha hydroxy acids – these products clear pores, reduce swellings and exfoliates the skin. Products that contain Alpha hydroxy acids mildly exfoliate the outer layer of the skin.
- Do aloe vera masks – applying pure aloe vera gel on your skin is a great natural way to get rid of acne scars naturally. Aloe Vera can reduce scar tissue size and inflammation. Do the mask twice a day for several weeks to see results.
- Use a specially formulated natural solution meant to remove scars – it includes only natural ingredients and carefully selected homeopathic ingredients that work together to repair and restore your skin. Works well on old and new scars.
What are the different types of acne?
Acne can be classified into inflammatory and non-inflammatory. Non-inflammatory acne does not cause swelling while inflammatory acne refers to pimples that are red and swollen and often quite painful.
Types of non-inflammatory acne:
- Blackheads (Open Comedones) – these develop when your skin pores are blocked by dead skin cells and excess sebum. The top of the pore is open while the rest of the pore is clogged. Hence they appear as black from the surface.
- Whiteheads (Closed Comedones) – they form as well when skin pores get blocked by sebum and dead skin cells however, the top of the pore remains closed.
Types of inflammatory acne:
- Papules – severe inflammation breaks down the walls around the pores. They are clogged pores that are hard and tender to the touch.
- Pustules – They form the same way as papules with the only difference being the bumps they create on the surface of the skin being full of pus. They are usually red with yellow or white tips.
- Nodules – they form when clogged and swollen pores get irritated and increase in size.
- Cysts – when sebum, bacteria, and dead skin cells clog up pores very deep. These are the ones that are very likely to leave a scar. They appear as red or white bumps that are bigger than all other acnes and are very tender to the touch.
How do acne scars heal? Are acne scars permanent?
Acne scars like the name says are scars and this means with proper scar treatment they will get better and less noticeable, but in most cases, they will not go away 100%. How well they will heal will depend on how severe the scars are and also on your skin type.
Best would be always to avoid getting them, therefore, it’s important to take acne seriously and take care of your skin when you have acne – read more here: A Complete Guide to Acne: Remedies, Causes and Types
If you already have acne then it’s important to apply proper treatment – like use specialized creams or scar treatment oils.
Important is also to notice that you should avoid picking, squeezing, or popping any breakouts as this can irritate and damage your skin even more.
Can acne be caused by stress?
These two topics like acne and stress cannot be linked straight away. Different studies have shown that stress directly does not increase the likelihood of getting acne, but as stress causes hormonal changes it can affect how worse the situation will get if you already have acne or tendency to get it.
Also under stress, we tend to pick the acne pimples and this may raise the possibility to get acne scars as picking damages the underlying skin.
Can acne be cured?
Like many other skin diseases, acne can be treated and controlled. Most commonly acne breakouts are related to hormonal changes, your stress level, your diet, or skincare routines. Also, it can be related to genetics.
You cannot change your genetics or influence hormones, but you can work on the other areas.
Best treatment for acne
There is no one way to treat acne. First and foremost we need to avoid getting it. For this, it’s important to eat healthily and keep our skin clean to avoid building up pimples and getting infections. Read more.
Secondly, it’s important to apply proper treatment when you do have acne.
There are a lot of specialized products available to treat acne. By using them its advised to use natural products if possible and reduce the number of chemical ingredients in the products.
Best TOP 3 Acne Remedies that Actually Work
In many cases, acne is also related to hormonal changes (teenagers or maternity). We cannot do much against that, but healthy food, proper skincare, and natural ingredients are even more important during this period.
Read next: How to Treat Rosacea: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment Options